Question

Mission Difficulty Levels

Is there a way to assign difficulty levels to goosechase missions? I want to have the same mission but at varying difficulties so people can choose based on their ability (age, tech savviness, area that they’re in)  I don’t want to have to create separate scavenger hunts based on level of difficulty. 

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Is there a way to assign difficulty levels to goosechase missions? I want to have the same mission but at varying difficulties so people can choose based on their ability (age, tech savviness, area that they’re in)  I don’t want to have to create separate scavenger hunts based on level of difficulty. 

I use Goosechase in my driver education classes. On the first night of class, all students are randomly teamed in groups of three. When they first come together, they create a team and begin engaging in assigned missions.

I use the script feature to release new missions over time as the content is addressed. At this point, any member of the team may complete any number of the missions assigned for that team.

During class #3, I assign every student a player number: 1, 2 or 3. 
Soon after, I release missions that have P#1, P#2 or P#3 IN the title of missions. Those missions may only be satisfied by THOSE players in each team. So I will have the same exact mission released three times at the same moment, but with a different player number in the title. This ensures that every student satisfies that particular challenge.

You might use this idea for your situation by instead of including player numbers in the mission title, you might use the words, easy, medium, or hard, telling players that they may only satisfy one of the three.

Here’s another thought…

I tell my students that ifthey submit a mission that is significantly interesting, original, crazy, fun, etc., I will assign bonus points.

You might state in a mission that “if you complete this mission, you will earn the 100 points. However, if you include one certain attributes, you’ll give them a bonus of 100 points. If you complete two additional attributes in this mission, you will earn a bonus of 200 points” 

If they do choose to submit a mission with the desire for bonus points, maybe instruct them to message you so that you don’t miss their higher level submission.

Whatever you decide, please come back and share with us about your experience.

Best wishes, Eric Bentley 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Great question! I love taking advantage of the search feature that’s available in the Mission list in the app (there’s a magnifying glass in the top right-hand corner) for something like this.

As you’re looking to assign difficulty levels to each Mission, you can include this detail in the Mission name (eg. Hard: Jumpstart, Easy: I’m Flying).

This way, participants can use the search feature to search for ‘hard’ or ‘easy’ Missions.

This also works well if you’re creating Mission categories!

If you want to add a visual cue, you can also add emojis to the Mission name to help participants quickly identify the different Mission types you’re creating.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hey all, just to add to what @Erin said about emojis. I spoke to a Goosechase user recently who uses an emoji system to indicate difficulty: 

💡 = easy. 💡💡 = medium. 💡💡💡 = hard.

I thought it was a neat solution!