🔴 Watch Recording: 🏛️⭐ How Museums Can Be Top Curators on Social Media

• 15 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Museums are sitting on a ✨ goldmine ✨ of content, and the average user spends 2.5 hours a day on social media-- that’s the perfect opportunity for museums to captive and engage their audiences right where they are! 

I’m super excited to invite you to join me and Goosechase founder and CEO Andrew Cross on Wednesday, January 24th at 10 AM PST / 1PM EST, for a conversation on how museums can use the power of short-form video to transform their social media presence and be top curators in the digital realm. RSVP here!

Drop any questions or specific topics you’re curious about below. 

See you next week!

Mona Lisa is smiling after all!

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

So excited about this event @maria_senditsocial! 🎉 

What burning 🔥 social questions do you have @ericavons @EleHein @nregan @blindsey @jkaempfer

Userlevel 2

So excited to attend! Social media is so crazy cool because it can inform, engage, and/or entertain, among other things, and no two museums seem to have the exact same balance of that (for instance, the American History Museum seems to use it most for showcasing its amazing collection, whereas the Royal Ontario Museum seems to focus more on exciting events and opportunities). In hopes of learning more from one another and better understanding what makes “good social media”, I’m wondering what museums’ social platforms others find really great and why. 

Here are some of my personal favorites:

The Field Museum - I started following them during the pandemic because of their Sue the T-Rex content 

The Museum at Bethel Woods - A lot of their posts have fun factoids about the ‘60s, cultural icons, and/or Woodstock that are easy to understand and remember and somehow always feel interesting to me

Carnegie Natural History Museum - They caught my attention with a number of videos they shared on social media of Tim Pierce telling jokes about snails for “mollusk monday”

Delaware Museum of Nature and Science - tbh, I followed them for Dude the museum cat 🐈

Needless to say, as a museum professional in my mid 20s, I will always be drawn in by a tasteful sense of humor! These museums, for me, have created distinct identities that spark joy when their names come across my feed. Even after several years, I still follow all of those accounts and engage with them enough that I get exposure to more “local-specific” content as well (despite the continued disappointment that I cannot attend some of the really cool events and programs from other parts of the world). I don’t know that branding can be much more successful than that! There is something really cool about sustainability and retention in social media and how it can inform our decisions, opinions, and feelings, and we can definitely learn from one other in regards to that. 

Looking forward to seeing what museums others enjoy following via social media!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Really looking forward to this @maria_senditsocial, can’t wait! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

So excited to have you there @EleHein

I love the Field Museum! They have some excellent videos with a great sense of humor (they are really good at using trending sounds and giving them a museum twist, like this one on monotremes or this one featuring their Dermestid beetles to the Gilmore Girls music. Thank you so much for sharing those other ones, too! So much great content out there! 

I do have some favorites to share too:

• The Tank Museum has a very interesting (and effective) approach where they have a main on-camera talent, Fam, leading the account. Through entertaining and engaging social media videos, they have found their niche audience online (check out the comments) and even make it appealing to people outside that community! 
  • The National Gallery UK has some great educational TikTok videos where they deep-dive into paintings using visual effects and lots of dynamic visuals! 
  • I particularly like this video by The Huntington, where they interviewed real visitors and showcased their Corpse Flower through these candid reactions. 

Looking forward to seeing you next week! :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Tomorrow’s the big day! 🙌 

If you haven’t already, make sure to register below and add the event to your calendar 👇 

See you there! 👋 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you everyone who joined me today!

If you have any other questions, share more cool museum social media posts, or just want to say hi, you can find me on LinkedIn or via email at maria@senditsocialmedia.com

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks again for that amazing presentation @maria_senditsocial. Really enjoyed that, and tons of great tips & information for museums to take and apply!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

🔴 Missed the event? Watch the recording here 👇 

@Andrew @maria_senditsocial @EleHein @Penelope Carreau @Heleen @ieengilis @Mia