What The Duck?

• 24 January 2023
  • 2 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

In a land where the mighty Goose is viewed as the superior water-fowl, it can only be assumed that ducks MUST be inferior in every way…. from quality of their feathers to their intellect.

With that said, I think we can safely call anytime we’ve messed up something BIG a “What The Duck” moment? Not that there’s anything wrong with making mistakes, but sharing them only serves to help others from making the same mistakes.

So what say you flock? What have been your biggest WTD moments? Feel free to share broadly from your professional life OR specifically with regards to running experiences on Goosechase!

------

I’ll go first… Now while this doesn’t have to do with Goosechase experiences, it does still make my toes curl with embarrassment when I think about it. My “What the duck” moment came when I was in a tense negotiation with an event venue via email. Long story short, there were a few passive aggressive emails on both sides and our internal legal counsel was involved to ensure things went smoothly. Well at one point when I thought I was complaining about this individual to just our legal counsel… turns out they were copied, Yep, I clicked Reply All, and not Reply. 😅

Lesson learned, always be professional, even when pushed to your limits (and never put angry words in writing, especially in an email) 🤦🏻

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

My What The Duck moment was when I was a junior graphic designer (nearly 15 years ago!) and I was designing a calendar for a corporate client to send out as holiday gifts to their customers for the following year ahead. I spent so much time laying out the graphics, the client approved it and we confidently sent it off to the printers…

One week later, 50,000 copies of the calendars (MANY boxes) arrived back at our design studio ready for collection. The graphics looked beautiful! However we quite quickly discovered that we had used the current year’s “dates” for the actual calendar part… So the calendars were completely useless for the year ahead because every date was wrong. 

Luckily it had been signed off by multiple people at both the client and studio end, and nobody had spotted this mistake, so nobody was blamed- but it was a helpful lesson to check EVERYTHING in a design before you send it to the printers! 😬😰

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I have had a several WTD moments in my life!  I will share one leisure and sports related!  In 2019, I decided to train for and complete multiple triathlon, half marathons and a full marathon.  In June, I set off for Duluth, Minnesota for one of my favorite races - Grandma’s Marathon!  Great race - home area of my youth, crowds, fun, friends and beautiful scenery!  The weather was questionable (typical for Duluth)!  So, I packed all the gear:  rain gear, layers for a cold start, light gear for heat and humidity, dry gear for after the race, charging brick for my phone after the race, etc.

Imagine my surprise, when I get to the hotel and began to lay gear out…. in all that gear - not ONE sports bra and even more problematic - NO RUNNING Shoes!  So, back over to race central to go through the expo with the hopes of finding my NewBalance 860s in the right size and bra that will not cause all kinds of painful reminders of my “What the Duck” moment!

In summary, there were sores, blisters, blood and a few tears at mile 16…. but, lesson learned and I make sure my gear is race ready now!