How many bonus points do creators award?

• 27 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

One thing that’s been on our mind recently is how many bonus points Goosechase creators are awarding to their participants’ submissions. It’s no secret that awarding bonus points is an easy way for creators to help participants feel positively recognized for their submission contributions (Hint: Participants get a notification for each one!), but what we were curious about was what quantity of points creators tended to award, relative to the original point value of the mission.

Before we took a look at the data, we asked the Goosechase team to take a guess at the most common bonus point quantities awarded. (We had already completed enough data analysis at this point to know that even though creators were able to freely enter the number of points awarded using the current Experience Manager interface, the point values tended to focus on certain cleanly defined percentages)

As it turns out, most of us greatly underestimated Goosechase creators’ generosity levels! Most of the time, creators are awarding a full 100% of a mission’s original point value when they give out bonus points, doubling the participant’s points earned for that mission! Take a look at the chart below of the top bonus point quantities awarded in January 2023.

Creators, what goes into your decision when determining how many points to award to a submission? Do you tend to feel an obligation to keep the number of points awarded consistent between different teams for the same mission?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

When using scavenger hunt as a graded assignment, bonus points can be tricky.  You don’t want to award so many points that the grades become too inflated.  However, I have found that students will often work harder for the bonus points than they do on the actual assignment.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@CatRush That’s really interesting to hear. Do you tend to include in the mission descriptions up front how many bonus points are up for grabs for the mission? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Eric C Depends.  Sometimes I add the statement “Bonus points for creativity.” when I want to encourage creativity in their submission.  For example: Take a picture of a compound leaf.  Bonus points for creativity.  I have found very few take advantage of the offer of bonus points in this format.  They are just trying to complete the assignment and the bonus points offer is too nebulous. What I am really trying to do is let them know that they can be creative if they want, and it will not adversely affect their grade.  

If I really want them to complete the task associated with the bonus points, then I am more specific in what the bonus points will be and what they must do to obtain them.  For example: Take a picture of a classmate using the Crime-lite AUTO to photograph a fluorescent fingerprint.  25 extra points if you post the picture to Twitter using @MUForensics #FSC618 #F+FCrimelite.