Question

Large building wide student GooseChase tips

• 21 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

My librarian and I started talking about a school wide GooseChase to promote the library during National Library week next week. But the more we talked about it the more we’re probably not going to do it with our high schoolers. Some of the holdups/concerns:

• is there a way to prevent inappropriate names?
  • is there a better way to try to advertise without the game code being put around the community?
  • can you review submissions before they’re posted to the feed?

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

We are considering trying out a school-wide chase with high school students as well - some ideas we had to address similar concerns:

1. Post a QR code to collect participant names and ask for a team name (you can set up teams ahead of time). This could prevent any inappropriate names. 
  2. Set a password for the Chase to limit public participation - access would require not only a code but the password as well.
  3. I’m not sure you can hide submissions until you want to release them, but you can definitely delete them as soon as they come in. You might want to have more than one teacher manning the experience as it occurs. 
  4. Really helpful in our building has been these lanyards that we made so that teachers would know if students are in the hallways or outdoors without supervision, it’s because they are participating in the chase. 

Hope some of this helps! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hey all, thought I’d jump in to offer some additional helpful honks 🙂

@MBFlatau Those are awesome ideas, thanks so much for sharing them! I love how you use lanyards, so brilliant 🤩

I really like your idea of posting a QR code to collect participant names and ask for a team name in advance so that you can pre-create the teams yourself. 

@swavelbr If your Experience is going to have a lot of teams, pre-creating the teams might not be ideal. Although it’s been our experience that participants tend not to use inappropriate team names, there are some things that you can do if that were to happen.

First, you can try sending a message to that team to ask them to change their team name. If you’ve set rules or guidelines for your Experience, you can gently remind them of these. You can also let them know that not abiding by the rules could result in them being removed from the Experience. 

If they don’t abide by your request, you can always remove them from the Experience

Participants tend to respect the rules, especially if prizes are up for grabs! No one wants to miss out on the opportunity to top the leaderboard!

If you need more info on reviewing submissions, check out these handy FAQs: Reviewing and downloading submissions and How do I delete a participant's submission? 🙂

When it comes to marketing your Experience, I definitely understand wanting to protect the join code. Using a password as @MBFlatau suggested is a great way to add an extra layer of protection. If you don’t want to publicly share these details, another idea is to include instructions on your promotional material or social posts to reach out to the library for details on how to join the Experience. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I went to a conference where all of the teams were pre-created. The team names were named after superheroes. Anyone who wanted to participate was to scan a QR code, which led to an online form, where they put their name and email address. They were then notified to which team they would be a part of, along with the game code and password and the team 4-digit join code. This was done quite easily as the online form generated a spreadsheet, which was then scripted to email participants of their designated team affiliation.

A less techie way is to pass out pre-printed superhero cards with game/team join codes. Pass the cards to groups of individuals so as to ensure similar-sized teams.