Question

Is it possible to make missions visible without making them available?

• 5 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Hey all!  I want my teams to be able to see the missions before the event goes live so they can plan out their strategies.  Is there a way to make the mission list visible without actually making them available to complete?

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @jdoman, that is a great question!

An Experience needs to Start before the Missions can be released to participants. This means that currently, you cannot “preview” the Missions to your participants without them being able to send in Submissions. 

Now that’s not to say there isn’t a few workarounds, but some are absolutely workarounds and not the most seamless experience for your participants. I’ll list below the different options and you can see if any would be a good fit for what you were looking to do!

1.  You could download the Mission list in a spreadsheet and send those to your participants ahead of time to give them time to strategize. 

2. A bit of a hacky workaround is to manually set all of your Missions to an EXPIRED state in the advanced settings of each Mission. Then you can create an automation to release the Missions to be AVAILABLE after a specific time or date after the Experience Starts. 

Full details for how to change a Mission state and create the automation are available here

In this scenario, when participants join the Experience, they will see the Missions Greyed out like the image below with the EXPIRED tag on the right-hand side of the Mission. They can click on the Missions and read the description but they won’t be able to submit anything until your Automation changes the Mission to AVAILABLE at a later time. 

3. My personal recommendation would be to let them strategize once it begins! Half of the fun as a participant is having the time pressure to work as a team and make decisions on what Missions to do and where to go. You can organize your Missions in a way that makes it easier for them to do this on the day of. I would recommend having a read of this FAQ and the examples for each of the different order options, it may give you an idea of which would be the best fit!

Hopefully this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions, or need further clarification 😊